When Creating An SEO Strategy Use Quality Information
When I frist started doing search engine optimization a bit over four years ago I didn’t really have an seo strategy. And to be quite frank I really didn’t think I need one at the time.
But as I grew within in the industry I learned that mapping out the processes I am going to implement with my seo techniques was just as important as the techniques themselves. Because without a plan we are just spinning our wheels and getting lucky. And we don’t want to depend on luck, we want to depend on skill.
So you go out and buy a course or two on search marketing. Or you talk to an seo consultant in hopes of learning seo basics. And you notice something that all of them have in common. They all tend to contradict each other. And at the same time they all say the same thing.
If it was really that simple everyone would be doing it though right.
The fact of the matter is that Google and Bing are waging war on marketers online. But not just any marketer. They are targeting the lazy ones. The ones that are looking for a payday by any means necessary. And they are getting really good at it.
Take Google for example. When they released the Panda and Penguin updates they manage to all but shut down thousands of websites. Which in the eyes of someone who is trying to build a website based off high quality content is a good thing. All of those sites that were able to build thousands of backlinks using automated tools are disappearing slowly.
And the content on a majority of those sites was really thin. Borderline garbage in my opinion.
So The Guru’s Are Teaching A New SEO Strategy
What is happening now is that all the people who made all of those courses are changing their tune.
They are trying to tell you that content is the new seo. And to be quite frank that is a bunch of horse crap.
High quality content has always been at the cornerstone of search marketing and always will be. But the courses of old were sold based on one promise.
To rank your site with the least amount of work possible. They were marketing to Homer. And he doesn’t want to work all that much. After all making money online is supposed to be easy right?
But the fact of the matter is that high quality content coupled with a solid link building and social media presence have always worked. And today they will continue to work. And in the future, they will work as well.
Follow This SEO Strategy For 2013
- Pick a domain name: If you already have one that is great but if not take a couple things into consideration. First, what is your product? What is your service? Are you trying to create a brand around a company or you? Second, exact match domains still work. Anyone that tells you different was building crappy sites that Google hated. I and several other successful seo’s are still using them with great results.
- Optimize your website for success. Remember to use the meta tags properly. The title tag is by far the most important. The description tag should have your keyword in it as well, but use this as an ad to get the click. The keyword tag is still used by Bing. But they are looking at it to find spam sites. So if you use it only add relevant keywords and not garbage. Also, make sure you enter your site into Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics. I know, I know, the scary Google is watching your site and could be mean to you. This is alarmist B.S. spewed out by those who are using spam techniques to promote their site. Besides, if you site is made available to spider, they have all that data anyway. So why not see how they view your site.
- Create high quality content. This is the hardest part for lazy people. So they pay for articles, or they use PLR content on their websites. Guess what, it doesn’t work for the long term. And even if you do get traffic it won’t be long before the search engines shut that off. Take the time to write some good stuff. Or if you like video, create a video blog. Just make sure its yours and not some garbage you copied from the net.
- Syndicate your content on social media sites. Now noticed I said syndicate and not spam. You have to take the time to write a good description of what value your social media followers are going to get from your site. Don’t just run around dropping your link like some idiot. I hate those people. And all they manage to do is wreck good traffic sources. Just ask the folks over at Empower Network who have to cloak their links now to get their stuff onto Facebook. Its not because the site is bad, or that the offer is bad (I am a member by the way). Its because all the people that joined figured that spamming the net was a good way to go. They didn’t bother listening to the training on how to properly market. And if they did, they sure as hell didn’t implement it. Thus they ruined the reputation of the product. Don’t like them PLEASE!!!
- Build links to your content from other sites. Ok, this is where your common sense is going to have to kick in. You can still use blog comments to get backlinks to your site. They do still work, but they are looked at in a different way. You need to comment on sites that are actually related to your content. Those that say it doesn’t work anymore were just leaving comments everywhere. So leave your comments on related sites. And do guest posts on sites that are looking for content. Not just any ole blog or website will do though. Chose some that are in your market. And already have traffic. This will help increase your branding, your traffic, and your rankings.
- Rinse and Repeat. Stick to the basics and what is working. Shiny objects are there for one thing. To get your money. Keep it in your wallet unless you are ready to move on to another marketing method. Don’t buy something just to buy it. Chasing magic buttons will never make you money.
I know that I was a little in your face on this post. And quite frankly its because sometimes we need it. I know I do. There is nothing better then having someone care enough about your success to forgo worrying about your feeling. Straight talk is where its at. This is your business after all.
I hope you enjoyed the content and if you have any questions, like always, leave a comment and ask. And be sure to opt-in to my mailing list and get more content that can help you along.
P.S. If You Need A System to Help You Get in Front of More Prospects (and even profit from people that DON’T want to Join. Click Here to See What I Mean